Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ready, Set... Go!

We've bought our plane ticket. It's real. We're going to Africa: 
March 12-22, 2009.

During the 2nd session of the camp I worked at this past summer, David and Linda Gregersen (who have been long-time Bible class teachers at Camp Blue Haven) came to speak with some of the staff while we were on our counselor break. David and Linda are members of the Brentwood Oaks Church in Austin and have been living at the Namwianga Mission in Zambia for the past few years now. They shared pictures and told stories of their experiences living as missionaries away from home, and encouraged any of us to join them if and when we could.

"Africa will ruin you," they warned. 

But I knew it was the kind of ruining I needed. Immediately I was hooked and ready to go! We now have a finalized group which is made up of five Blue Haven counselors from this past summer. I just can't tell you how blessed I feel to be sharing this with them! There are many things we can and will be doing during our stay at the Namwianga Mission. If I'm getting my numbers right, there are 3 orphanages, 3 schools (elementary, intermediate, senior high), at least one health clinic, and lots of farming land complete with grazing goats and cattle. It will be the end of the rainy season, so there may even be some muddy roads that need tending to.

Basically we're in charge of getting ourselves half-way across the globe, and then David and Linda will tell us what to do next! I know I would really love to spend my time with some of the orphans, if I'm able.
I am so incredibly excited about this opportunity! I can't believe it's real. As you read this, please say a prayer for God's guidance for all of us as we prepare for what's sure to be a life-changing week. We truly want to be used for His glory. 

"But among you it will be different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must be the slave of everyone else. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many." 
-Mark 10:43-45 (NLT)



If you are able and would like to support me on this trip in any way, it would be so very much appreciated.

Please make checks out to Monterey Church of Christ and put Kathryn Warder in the memo line. Mail to:

Kathryn Warder
6316 31st Street
Lubbock, TX 79407

5 comments:

  1. Blessings to you and your fellow travelers. I am very excited to have this way of keeping up with your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay Mom! you're my first comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited for you! I'll keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn ... I'm confident that you will leave as significant an impression on the people in Zambia as they will leave on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so thrilled and excited for you! Be prepared to be "ruined" in so many different ares of your life! I'm on the prayer team!!!

    ReplyDelete